Summer of 2020 Luncheon
Summer of 2020
What is JOB1?
First job for high school students.
The JOB1 Summer Internship Program was created sixteen years ago, in 2003, when the Rotary Club of Chicago was looking for a vocational services program that would deliver significant community value and that would engage Rotary members as well as the community it serves. Then, in 2005, JOB1 started as JobStart, a part of the City of Chicago's KidStart Corporate Initiative. Rotary has remained a collaborative partner with the city and Chicago Public Schools and its Career and Technical Education department.
As the signature program for ROTARY/One, JOB1 prepares City of Chicago High School 11th grade and graduating seniors, who are sixteen and over, for the workplace by providing job readiness training, as well as, substantive paid summer internship opportunities with local business’ and not for profits in the Chicago.
- Participate in extra-curricular programs (such as Chicago Public Schools’ Education to Careers).
- Are recommended by teachers and/or guidance counselors.
- Must attend 3 job training programs sponsored by the Rotary Club of Chicago.
- Attend Job Fair sponsored by Rotary Club of Chicago.
- Participate in a volunteer service project.
- An eight week internship/Job with a minimum wage of $14.00 per hour and a 20-40 hour workweek.
- Assignment to a Chicago company or not for profit organization.
- Opportunity to participate in the Rotary Youth Leadership Awards annual training.
- Opportunity (for graduating seniors) to secure up to a $2500 college award.
All materials must be received on-line by April 1, 2020 at the following:
Please contact Aleta Williams with questions
Intern Training Dates:
All training is held at TechNexus, 20 N Wacker Drive, Suite 1200 Blvd, Chicago IL 60606 and begin at 9am sharp on Saturdays. Trainees select from one of the following
- April 18, 9am-12pm: Job1 Training 101: Anatomy of a Business, Surviving the World of Work/Can't We All Just Get Along, Resume Development
- April 25, 9am-12pm: Job1 Training 101: Anatomy of a Business, Surviving the World of Work/Can't We All Just Get Along, Resume Development
- May 2, 9am to 12pm: Interviewing Skills/Mock Interviews
- May 9, 9am to 12pm: Interviewing Skills/Mock Interviews
May 10 Deadline for Resume Submission to JOBFair
May 28 Intern Interviews with Prospective Employers - Rotary JOBFair
June 20 Kick Off for Summer Internship - Final Training
Week of June 22 First day of work (determined by your employer)
July 11/12 Summer Service Project, volunteer at the Jesse White Foundation Trunk Party
July 27 Deadline for college scholarship award application, and deadline for submission of RYLA scholarship application
August 11 Recognition and Appreciation luncheon, 12pm at the Rotary Club of Chicago with Interns, Parents, Employers and JOB1 Advisors
August 14 Last day of work (determined by your employer)